My beautiful son, you are entering middle school in exactly one month and three days. It will be a time of great change and great challenge for you. I won’t embarass you here with what I really think, but suffice it to say that you will need to learn to get knocked down, and get back up again.
This lesson in life will never end. Even now, at 42, I have to heed it. Yesterday was a tough day. I took some time to wallow in the way that I do – slow songs, dessert, a few private tears – but today I got back up again, I dusted off my knees and I got back out there. It’s what you do – you get back up again.
- Time really does heal most wounds
- Things always get better, even when you feel like they never will
- When we’re down, the only way to look is up
- Rely on those who love you in both the good and the bad times
- Talk about issues with someone you trust – don’t internalize it
- God does not give us anything that we cannot handle
- Middle school – and who you are now – does not define you, I swear!
- Be true to yourself and be good to yourself – and demand that others are, too
Part of the Series What I’ve Learned, What I’m Learning – #365LifeLessons