I was tapped by fellow This Mommy Gig blogger, Laura Thomas, to write a post on Seven Things You Don’t Know About Me. It sounds easy but to be honest, it’s hard to find seven things that no one knows about me – or to find seven that I’d actually want to share publicly! It also feels a bit strange – I could barely come up with seven. Perhaps I need to get some new hobbies!
1) I grew up in three different states: Illinois, Wyoming and Michigan. Moving as a kid is hard – kids are mean! But I managed to make many friends and learned a lot about the psychology of people. The experiences moving made me a stronger, more intuitive person.
2) Everything I have I owe to hard work: While I own my own company now, I’ve worked extremely hard for everything I have. I don’t come from money – I started working at the age of 10 (first job: newspaper delivery for The Wyoming State Journal in Lander, Wyo.); worked at McDonald’s throughout high school (yes, McDonald’s!); held three jobs in college (retail clerk at a video store, a retail clothing store and a grocery store) while taking a full load of classes and running my University’s newspaper as Editor in Chief; and moved to Boston with a bank balance of about $200.00. When I went out on my own to start PerkettPR, I had less than $500 in the bank – and I bootstrapped the company (no loans!).
3) My dream job: a writer or stylist, ala Rachel Zoe
4) I’m a record holder: I kind of accidentally discovered that I could run during the middle of a race in junior high. I started passing everyone – to my surprise – and thought, “holy cow, I am good at something!” I went to the state championships my freshman year and set new school records in the 800 meter run and 3200 meter relay. When I first took my now-husband to my hometown, we visited my high school – and my name was still up in the gymnasium as record holder.
5) I recently finished my first marathon – in Dublin, Ireland.
6) I’m an obsessive list maker. I thank my father, who always had yellow (silent, guilt-ridden) legal pads of “To Dos” sitting around the house. My husband finds them everywhere – the kitchen, the bathroom, my nightstand, the car.
7) Random talents include: singing (I sang in two groups in college, including a women’s accepella group), pottery (more like an interest than a talent) and horseback riding (I grew up in Wyoming and my folks were avid endurance racers – a few of which I tried myself – 50 miles on a horse!).