I’m counting my blessings this month even as I run around stressing about getting everything done: the shopping, the wrapping, the end-of-year sales and finances, the travel plans, etc. But I’m not forgetting how, even though I’m crazed, I’m extremely lucky. I have a warm home – in both temperature and spirit, a great marriage, two glorious children, great and patient friends, a thriving business on my own terms, fabulous employees, a supportive extended family, three dogs who make me crazy but are great for cuddling, and much, much more.
As I look around this month and count my blessings more than usual, I also want to give back as a way of saying “thanks” to the universe/Kismet, etc. It’s easier than ever these days – so no excuses. Click on any of the URLs below to share the spirit this holiday season – and always, for that matter.
- Support research for many medical causes. My personal passions: Alzheimer’s and Cancer.
- Be the example to a teen at risk.
- Boston’s very own Globe Santa can use your help for granting holiday wishes to needy families.
- Californian? Shop at Out of the Closet thrift stores to support AIDS Healthcare
Foundation through proceeds
- Choose a volunteer project or go local – do something in your town
- Keep us all healthy – donate for vaccinations against deadly diseases
- See clearly – donate your old eye glasses
- Keep walking – donate old shoes
- Nature matters - protect rain forests
- You can provide a month of care for sexual slavery victims
- Not flying this season? Donate your frequent flyer miles to families of injured soldiers
- Each year the average teacher spends over $659 from their own pocket to buy classroom materials; you can help locally or otherwise
- eBay isn’t just for buying; sell gifts online, too – a percentage of sales goes to charities of your choice
- Enjoying your family at the holidays? Our homesick troops aren’t so lucky – help brighten their holiday
- Give blood
- Education matters – support a future college student
- Help time pass for a hospital-bound child
- Brides Against Breast Cancer can use your gown
- My Mom’s Golden is a therapy dog; yours can be too
- Send your old laptop to a child
- Shopping anyway so why not donate a portion of what you buy this season by shopping here
- Support the need for medical supplies for children
- Upgrade your car or mobile phone and donate the old one for domestic violence victims
- Warm and cozy? Many are not. Donate stuffed animals, baby blankets, and children’s books