Posted on October 16, 2011 by Christine Perkett
In what’s been the most challenging few years of my life, I’ve realized today that I’ve focused way too much on my detractors and not enough on my supporters. I’ve been listening to those tearing me down more than I’ve listened to those building me up. Once I started to change that, things got really hard. The haters do not like to be ignored. They yell louder, they get meaner, and they get more and more personal about their attacks. But the louder they yell, the more proof that you are becoming stronger – that you are creating change. And while change can be extremely uncomfortable and make you wonder if you are doing the right thing – keep the faith. You are. That’s why it’s so hard.
Sometimes you can use detractors’ opinions as fuel to do better, to keep going, to prove them wrong – but don’t forget to focus on your supporters too, and to give them more credence. Thank them, listen to them – hear them. I’ve realized now not only is that what I need to do, but that I need to put my energies into the positive: the people, the work, the beliefs that will carry me along to a better place.
Don’t believe the hype. Keep the faith. Believe in yourself. I found this video today and thought there were so many good quotes in it – so many things to help me refocus my energies, that I wanted to share it with you in case you could use a little reminder, too. Enjoy.
To all those who watch and wonder if I really know what I’m doing….
To all those who stand in judgment, waiting for the other shoe to drop….
Filed under: friends, life, Random musing | Tagged: believe in yourself, faith, friends, friendship, haters, positive, support, trust | 1 Comment »
Posted on July 15, 2011 by Christine Perkett
I posted this on my Pinterest but love it so much I had to put it here, too. We all have haters. Don’t sweat ‘em. Some Friday inspiration to keep you looking at the positive….
Filed under: friends, life, Random musing | Tagged: inspiration, quotes, strength | Leave a Comment »
Posted on November 22, 2007 by Christine Perkett
Playing around on all the new social media sites – Twitter, Seesmic, what have you – I have seen a lot of “What I’m Thankful For” posts. Of course, I’m thankful for a lot of things this Thanksgiving, so I thought I’d follow suit:
- Two incredible sons who keep reminding me not to take everything so seriously.
- A fabulous husband who makes an amazing pumpkin cheesecake and keeps me laughing all year long.
- A close knit family and in-laws that rock, too.
- My grandfather, who is an amazing testament to living the good life. He just turned 83 and is still in the gym every day. He also spent the last 15+ years by my grandmother’s bedside while she struggled with Alzheimer’s. (I’ll be posting about that amazing story sometime soon.)
- My oldest brother (a brilliant NYU film student) who drove up from NYC with his girlfriend to spend the weekend with us.
- My new social media friends! In a very short time I’ve felt welcomed to a whole new world of Boston tech enthusiasts – and I keep learning from them every day. Amanda Mooney, Scott Monty, Chris Brogan, Sarah Wurrey, Jeff Pulver, Nate Burke and more. Thank you for all the tips – and laughs!
- The opportunity to be a working mom. Some days it feels overwhelming but I love both roles, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Now, back to the family.
Filed under: family, friends, kids, life, Uncategorized | Tagged: family, friends, thanks, Thanksgiving | 2 Comments »
Posted on October 30, 2007 by Christine Perkett
I’m a huge fan of technology – obviously, it’s what I focus on for a living - but when it doesn’t work it’s maddening! I’m pretty busy between running an agency, managing a family with two young children and dealing with three (slightly-maddening) dogs. So when I need gifts I usually order them at the last minute and online. Not the most personal approach but hey, it’s better than forgetting!
So when I skipped the food and went online during my lunch break to order some last minute birthday gifts, I expected it to be quick and easy – food basket, flowers – done. Usually that works. For some reason, tech karma is not on my side today. The first site, 1800flowers.com, kept insisting that my credit card number was wrong – it wasn’t, I checked it about a zillion times. Okay fine, I don’t have time to talk to customer service so I quickly go over to Hallmark. I choose my gifts, add in the addresses and go to pay…and the site keeps crashing. Over and over again that annoying pop up tells me the operation has been aborted. Dreadful words, especially when you are trying to hurry.
So technology today actually slowed me down. It’s great when it works but when it doesn’t – you feel like ripping your hair out. I guess my late birthday gifts will be even more late than usual!
Where do you buy gifts online? Have any great suggestions? Please share!
Filed under: family, friends, Gifts, online shopping, technology | Tagged: 1800Flowers, Hallmark, online gifts, online shopping, ordering flowers online, technology | Leave a Comment »